Saturday, June 4, 2011

A day out in Nice

We’ve not been much to Nice lately, so since we had rather nice weather today, we figured an escapade to Nice would be a nice idea. The plan was to meet up with my auntie Tutta and her friend Anita, who was visiting from the US of A. After a spot of shopping we met up with the ladies at the Häagen-Dazs café, on Place Magenta. It’s a good place for having some sinfully tasty, calorie-“blessed” desserts, and the terrace is pretty nice too. So the perfect place for a rendez-vous, then! We had good fun catching up with the ladies, nice to see Anita as well (we met her when she was visiting Nice the last time, about 4 years ago).

We then headed down to Pathe Massena for a bit of cinema, Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris was on the cards this time. I really loved the movie – I suppose you could say it’s a romantic salute to the magic of Paris, more than anything else. I suppose one could say it’s quite sentimental, but I loved it nonetheless. Owen Wilson’s “Woody Allan” act was pretty good too… The older I get, the more I seem to enjoy Mr. Allen’s films (I used to find them really annoying).

For dinner, the plan was to meet up with Ismael, Sarah, Youcef, Ouarda and Steve at Rue Massena. We ended up going to the Quebec, one of the touristy restaurants on the pedestrian street. I have to say it wasn’t so great food-wise, and the service was even worse – and the bill made us go “auch” as well. Well, it is on the most touristy street in Nice, so I don’t suppose you can expect anything else...

But nonetheless, we had a really good laugh, and that’s the most important thing, right ? Great to catch up with the good old group again (although it’s true that I do meet up with Ismael and Youcef rather frequently for “business lunches”). After the dinner, we ended up in the Häagen-Dazs café again for some after-dinner drinks. And then it was time for us to rush down to the train station to catch the last train to Cagnes – we needn’t have rushed through since the train was 30 minutes late…

No comments: