Saturday, April 9, 2016

How Man lost versus Food

Eating challenges are, of course, completely unreasonable in this day and age, for ecological reasons and otherwise. But, dear reader, should you be one of the rare regular readers of this blog, you may have noticed I do have what one might call a healthy appetite (or even an unhealthy appetite?). I'm also a bit of a fan of the TV show Man vs. Food.

So, when Chris mentioned a monster burger weighing 2kg when we went for dinner with him and Aurore, my curiosity was piqued. Mathilde, who is of a more reasonable nature than me, immediately stated that the best time to take part in this kind of Tomfoolery would be when she was not present.

So as she had just left to spend a week with her dad in La Rochelle, I immediately suggested to Chris, and some colleagues, that this could be a good time for a bit of a "light evening meal". I managed to recruit Chris, Aurore, Philippe and a mysterious colleague whom I shall name DB, in the end.

So off we drove to far-off La Motte in the Var Department, where this monstrosity was being served at a vineyard, called La Domaine de la Maurette. They have quite an extensive menu, actually, with some pretty good stuff (confirmed by those at the table that were intelligent enough not to go for the monster burger). But myself, Chris and DB went for the monster burger (we opted against the deluxe version, which adds 200 grams of foie gras!)


And how was it then ? Well, huge! But pretty tasty too! But it's just too damn big, one stops appreciating the taste about a quarter of a burger into the challenge. And did we succeed in finishing off the monster ? Did man vanquish food ? Sadly, no. Chris came closest (the remains of his meal weighed 584 grams against 660 grams for me, whereas DB smartly only had half of his). I blame my chosen tactic, to go at the beast at a slow pace. I think the only way to finish the monster is to go at it hard and fast (like Chris did).

So, a 3rd of my burger went into a doggy bag (a rare thing in France, the doggy bag, but in this case I think it's a necessity!). But, believe it or not, I shared a desert with Chris!

Apparently, we have to try again when our good friend JJ comes to the Cote d'Azur in September. So watch this space for a 2nd attempt!

No comments: